The 20% Project
September 6, 2013 § Leave a comment
PART ONE: PERSONALIZED LEARNING
What is personalized learning? Try to define personalized learning with your own words and discuss the benefits and challenges of personalized learning.
Let’s look at our readings so far. Is there a connection between personalized learning with the characteristics of meaningful learning? How about the National Educational Technology Plan (NETP)?
PART TWO: The 20% Project
BRAINSTORM IDEAS FOR YOUR 20% PROJECT.
How could the 20% project reflect some of the things you’ve learned about meaningful learning so far this semester?
Take a few minutes to look through a blog created by a student during Maymester as she worked on her 20% project (remember, posts are in chronological order so you’ll be reading it backwards). Each week you’ll be asked to spend time exploring the question/topic that’s of interest to you. Some of the topics explored during Maymester were:
- Bridging the Technology Gap
- Advantages and disadvantages of online learning
- How is technology used in special education classrooms?
- What motivates young children to read?
- How can technology improve school safety?
- Standardized test cheating scandals
- Charter schools
You can see that the common thread through all of the questions is a K12 connection. Think of something current in education/technology that you’ve wondered about or something that has impacted you personally. Here’s a link to a series of videos that will give you some technology-related ideas.
Your 20% project task for today:
1. Write down what you think your 20% project idea might be.
2. Write down at least 5 alternative 20% project ideas you might want to pursue.
3. Write down what kind of final product you would plan to deliver.
4. List any individuals who could benefit from your project.
Share your project ideas with a partner.
Provide feedback on your partner’s project idea:
- Ask him/her questions about the project.
- Provide suggestions for improvement.
- Indicate any considerations.
That’s all that we are doing for today – 20% project!