Day 2: Getting to know each other
August 14, 2013 § Leave a comment
If today is your first day of class, please view Tuesday’s blog post by using the link on the calendar in the bottom right corner of this page.
If you haven’t done so already, please complete the online student information sheet: Pick in which section you are enrolled:
What questions do you have about the syllabus? about course projects? Let’s look at a sample website from spring semester. Not all of our projects will be the same, but it will help you to get an idea of what you’ll be doing this semester.
Here are some student work samples:
- Karissa’s Google Site
- Julie’s Digital Storytelling
- Daniel’s Blogging
- Christine’s Creativity Contract
- Erica’s Learning Adventure
And here’s some information about Slowmation videos.
PART ONE: Get to know each other “People Bingo”
You learned enough about me. Now it is time to get to know each other. We will play People Bingo. It is a fun way to getting to know your classmates.
The first three people win a bingo, win a late pass.
Discuss “class participation“: Participation is 10% of your grade in this course and it is not based solely on attendance. Just showing up for class isn’t enough.
- What should participation look like?
- What gets in the way of participating?
- How can a class be structured so that it’s easy to participate?
- How is participation viewed differently from a teacher/student perspective?
- Why does participation matter in a technology course?
1. Finish your “about me” page.
2. Read Chapter One from Howland, J.L., Jonassen,D., & Marra, R.M. (2011). Meaningful learning with technology. (Fourth ed.). Boston, M.A. : Allyn. You can access it from our Readings Dropbox folder. We are using Dropbox to organize our readings for this semester. You do not have to have a dropbox account to view files in the folder or to download files.
When you read, be prepared to discuss the following:
- What was the big idea or takeaway you had from the Meaningful Learning with Technology chapter?
- Was there anything that surprised you?
- What are the characteristics of meaningful learning?
- Provide learning examples for each characteristic from your past experiences or previous readings
- What is your definition of technology?
- How does learning from technology differ from learning with technology?
3. Be sure to complete the online student information sheet: Pick in which section you are enrolled: